It has been 3 weeks since we have been home from the Philippines. It feels like months have gone by. Leo continues to do well, as far as his adjustment and transition into our family. He started school on the 21st and had a rough first day, getting lost between 3rd and 4th period and having some issues with his combination lock for PE. His first day of school, I was with him for the New Student orientation and tour of his school (Leo was one of 4 new students that day). By the time we were done, his 2nd period class had already begun so I went with him to drop him off there. It was such a comfort to see that Macy, our next door neighbor, was in Leo's 2nd period art class! She greeted us as soon as we walked in. It was hard to say goodbye to him. I could see he was scared. It felt like the first day we brought Maile to daycare! Leo and I both had tears welling up in our eyes.
When Maile and I picked Leo up from school, he had a smile on his face. Praise the Lord! He said that Macy introduced him to a lot of people and he made a friend in one of his classes. Apparently, many of the Filipino kids at the school were excited about his arrival...Macy had been telling her friends about Leo for awhile. She's a great kid with a good heart:o)
Four out of Leo's seven classes are part of the ELL (English Language Learner) program which include Language Arts, Social Studies, English and a free period. His art, PE, and math classes are with the mainstream 7th graders. At this point, Leo is doing okay in school considering the language barrier...still learning English and he's having major issues in Pre-Algebra, so we're probably going to take him down to an easier math class. Overall, Leo has a wonderful, positive attitude about school with the motivation to do well...I know he'll be okay.
The biggest hurdle we've been tackling with Leo is his speed, especially when he's getting ready for school. I guess this doesn't sound like a big deal and is probably pretty normal for a 12 year-old. But when you're trying to get to school, work, or anywhere in time, it's frustrating to see someone doing everything in slow motion. Work in progress. He is getting better...much much better.
Maile is also getting better about her "Little Mommy" syndrome when it comes to Leo. They have their moments...good and bad...but overall they're really such good kids.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.